Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Lesson on Nature vs Nature

For some people who have traveled with me before, you'll know that I have a tendency to describe things in a "Nature vs Nature" sort of way (ahem, Lutsen). Already I can tell this trip will be no different. This explanation will help with later posts, I promise.

A lesson on Nature vs Nature


Nature :)
pronounced "naaaay-chure" in a loving, cooing way

vs

Nature :(
pronounced "wah wah"

Examples to help explain my rationale, because real life examples always help.

Example 1: Coyotes and Timbawoofs

Let's look at wildlife in northern Minnesota. Coyotes, for example, are totally harmless when they're trotting cutely across partially-frozen Lake Superior in the middle of February on a Sunday because clearly he needs to get to Wisconsin to get some booze. Timbawoofs, on the other hand, are so hungry they might kill your dog.



Example 2: Sharks

While I'm here in Costa Rica, I plan to surf again. I wasn't very good at it the first time, but I had a lot of fun. However, Charlie tells me that he sees sharks when he surfs here... The last thing I want is a shark getting cozy next to my while I'm strapped to a long board with waves crashing into me.


Example 3: Bears

Back to Minnesota with the bears. I grew up around black bears scavenging through the garbage at my family's resort. My dad would always call the DNR to come set a trap and then they'd take them away. Bears are pretty cool when you're watching them on TV.




No comments:

Post a Comment