Saturday, March 22, 2014

RUN (don't walk) to your nearest Hot Springs Volcano Resort

If you've never been to a hot springs resort, you should seriously consider changing that. I had no idea just how amazing it would be. There seemed to be four big hot springs resorts over at the Arenal Volcano. We ended up booking at the Baldi Hot Springs Resort and Spa. It was lovely.

After our scenic drive to the La Fortuna area took about 2.5 hours longer than expected we were ready to get into the hot springs right away. 

The Baldi has 25 different hot spring pools and it's situated directly under the volcano, so the views were incredible while walking around. One of the nice things about the Baldi was the members-only pools reserved just for hotel guests. Apparently an option to do the hot springs thing is to stay nearby and get a day pass to the spa. We saw a lot of people doing this, and once dinner time came it was obvious there weren't many people staying there, and the restaurant options (2) were mediocre.

The spa at the Baldi was unbelievable. I got a thermal mud massage next to a waterfall. It doesn't get much more relaxing than that. The staff was exceptional. They even gave us a piece of chocolate cake with tea after the massage. It was delicious. :)

Sitting in hot spring water is pure joy. My skin was so soft and moisturized, and I never really got pruney hands or feet. I loved all of the waterfalls at each of the pools. There generally weren't that many people there and on Tuesday morning it was like we had the place to ourselves. 

Let's discuss the water slide options... I love water slides, and they had 3 here. Only one was really running while we were there and it shot you out of it like a cannon. It was kind of painful but I didn't lose my suit, so I consider that a win.

My only regret is that we only stayed 1 night. I can see a La Fortuna trip in the future to be sure, and I think it will include staying at a chic little hotel in La Fortuna (which seemed like a town I would really like) and getting day passes to a few of the different hot spring spas.

lobby at Baldi

View from the room

view of the Arenal Volcano by the helicopter landing area

one of the 25 hot spring pools

lovely walking paths were like walking through a tropical rainforest

the jacuzzi - it was 109 F and lovely!

all the pools had signs posted for their temps - this one at 116 F had two small very cold pools in them which were very nice

massive swim up bar

the steam room is in the way back on the right and very very hot

the water slides end up in this pool

the evil water slides

members-only area. way in the back you can see a tall structure that had 140 or 150F water...hot!

this was my favorite pool to hang out at under the waterfalls

in the back you can see the hottest spring at 160F (I think)

why not take in the view with the volcano while in the hot spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment