Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Meet Iceman and Maverick

There are two resident iguanas who live under the Beachouse on the property. I've named them Iceman and Maverick because it's fun to think about them as Top Gun fighter pilots. It's possible that they are both female but I don't know how old they are and whether or not they're old enough to exhibit male characteristics. It would be pretty sweet if they were females with Top Gun names.

When I first saw them, I was all "ooooh Nature :)" until yesterday when Iceman decided to get WAY TOO CLOSE for my comfort and climbed up on the beach chair. Nature :) quickly turned into Nature :( - more on that here.

How to tell them apart 


Iceman has more white (duh) and tall spikes on his back which is pretty badass. Can you see the resemblance?
Iceman got waaaay too close

Maverick is the littler guy without the spikes (appropriate, right?). He has been fairly social and trying to prove himself. Can you see the resemblance?
Maverick came out to snack on leaves
They seem appropriately named considering they don't really play well together:


Did you know?
In Central America, where iguana meat is frequently consumed, iguanas are referred to as "bamboo chicken" or "chicken of the trees." (natgeo) I'm not sure if I should be concerned that ordering chicken here is really iguana, or if Maverick and Iceman should watch out.

I don't know how Maverick got up there, but he was watching me leave...creeeeepy

1 comment:

  1. You should try Iguana while you are down there, it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete