Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Grocery Essentials

More than anything, I think I'm writing this post so in two months I can look back and not have to wonder, "What did I buy that first trip that almost killed me, anyway?"

I tried to think of enough lightweight ingredients that I love, can't get close to Playa Grande, and would survive several days until I have to make that trek again. I also tried to think of ingredients that are local as well as staples to hopefully hold me over for 2 months. I also made myself carry a hand basket at the store so that I would know how much weight I would be taking back.

Staples

  • olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • cumin
  • aluminum foil
  • paper towels
Produce
  • 2 mangoes (they looked way too good to pass up)
  • 1 cucumber
  • a large bag of fresh basil (I instantly thought of making pesto, stay tuned...I don't have a food processor)
  • garlic, lots and lots
  • 2 avocados
  • cherry tomatoes
  • 3 small onions
  • 1 large bag of limes (I would've bought a smaller quantity, but this was all they had. I blame this bag of limes on my carpal tunnel acting up again.)
  • 1 bunch spinach
Meat/Fish
  • 1ish pound of small shrimp
  • 1 large trout filet
  • 1 dozen eggos
That's really it. I bought tortillas and coffee at the local shop. I forgot coffee filters and couldn't find jalapenos. I just revisited the little shop tonight and they have more produce than I originally saw - tomatoes, cucumber, cauliflowerohmygodmyfavorite, cheeses, and some meats.

No comments:

Post a Comment