Monday, March 24, 2014

Deep Sea Fishing with Birds as our Guides

These Magnificent Frigatebirds were wonderful to watch. They followed along with us for at least 45 minutes...flying overhead then swooping up into the sky and back down again SPLOOSH! into the water to catch fish. They would disappear below the water for quite a while sometime.




We fared ... really awesome with the fish. We caught 5 bonito tuna in a matter of an hour and a half! I don't really care for the feeling of fish in my hands because they're so slippery and I have no idea how to hold them. Our captain let me reel the first one in and after he took it off the 5-inch hook, he's like "HERE! Grab it by the gills!" And no more than 5 seconds later it was thrashing around the boat. LOL I couldn't stop giggling but it was just so darn slippery. After that I was ok just reeling them in and throwing them back.

Most of the bonito tuna we caught were around 18-20" long and probably about 5-6 pounds each. Either way, reeling them in they might as well have been 100 pounds. Thems fightin' fish!

We fared ... not so well with the sea. The sea was angry that day, my friends! We turned in early because the waves were too much for our weak gringo stomachs. What a shame, being a fisherman's great-granddaughter. Oh well, we still caught fish!








No comments:

Post a Comment